Wednesday, August 28, 2013

progress - they see it, I don't


On the way to the gym the other day I came across a woman who I was seeing on the bus regularly during this past winter holiday season and she told me that I look like I've been making progress. I smiled and said thank you to her. But when I look in the mirror I don't feel like I see any physical progress. I know I'm getting stronger, but I'm still not seeing any change. I've said this before I'm sure...it's frustrating.

My coworker who lost over 100 lbs also told me the other day that I look like I'm losing weight. I told him as well that I don't see it. He told me when I lose more weight, I'll start to finally SEE the changes. He said it took him awhile to notice the weight falling off of him too.

I think we're so used to our bodies that when the small changes start to take place we don't really notice it. It's like we're blind to the change. Or maybe that's just me. Kind of a bummer because it's hard to keep going some days when you can't see any difference in how you look. Even if you DO feel different.

I'm just gonna keep plugging along until I reach my goal. Many pounds to go and many muscles to strengthen. (I gotta stop eating all the cookies and the brownies and candies, they are not helping at all.)


reading - Cocktails for Three by Madeleine Wickham
This post brought to you in part by:

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

It was so nice of that woman to tell you she sees you're making progress, it's so frustrating when you don't see it yourself. Just keep at it, you will eventually!

Simply Evani said...

I have an entireeeeeee novel of a post ready to post on this topic. Make sure to take progress pics!!!

Jen said...

How sweet of that lady! You are doing great. :)

Caitlyn said...

I am completely the same way. Ever since I've been working out, I have GAINED weight because of muscle. Then everyone comments on how I look like I've lost weight and all I can think about is the number on the scale. I don't see a difference, personally, but I plan on sticking with it and hopefully, I will someday.