Wednesday, August 9, 2006

IBYTTSIAY - Location, Location, Location

Where are you from? How long have you lived there? Did you grow up there? What do you love most about it? Hate most about it? Would you want your children to grow up there?

This is one of those questions I never know how to answer. It's such an open ended question that I could answer in several ways. So I always have to ask in return, what do you mean?

Why do I answer a question with another question? Because you see I am one of those fortunate/unfortunate (depends on how you look at it) kids who lived that most adventurous military lifestyle. So to answer this question requires more information from the inquirer. Complicated I am. I know.

So where am I from? Well let's see:

With regards to ethinicity: the Philippines..for the most part.

With regards to birth place: Hawaii.

With regards to childhood: Hawaii, Nebraska, Alaska, California, New York (upstate) and Germany.

With regards to where I've lived the longest: Indiana is about to take over my lengthly stay in Germany.

A lot of times though when I'm really not in the mood to go in to this long explanation I'll say Germany or Hawaii...it really just depends on my mood. I don't think I'll ever claim Indiana as my home state. It just wouldn't be right.

There are days that I'm a little jealous of those who've lived in one place just about there whole lives. Those who have an actual place to call home. They've gone to school with all the same kids their intire lives. I always wonder what that would've been like. But you know what, I wouldn't trade the experiences I've had for anything. I've gotten the opportunities to get to know an assortment of people and have friends sprinkled all over the world. Makes for good road trips.

I loved living in both Hawaii and Germany. Hawaii because...heck it's Hawaii. And Germany because...well I think that's something you really just have to experience yourself. A lot of us who lived there tend to call it home and yearn to relive those days and stay forever. Germany was laidback and open to me. It was such a different culture. The food, the people, the scenery. Beautiful. Amazing. Luckily my family is still there, which means I've got a place to stay. I just wish the opportunity was there too. I'd go back in a heartbeat. And I'd take all my new friends with me so they could share in the experience.

Although I get antsy living in one place too long due to all the traveling I've done as a kid, it's not something I wish for my kids in the event that I pop any out...or adopt. Whatever. I'd like for them to live in the same house from birth to the day I kick'em out. I want them to do it different. And hopefully I can see what could've been like had I not been a military family.

No comments: