Saturday, November 2, 2013

$100 challenge - week 4

Week 3

Birthday week has come to an end. I had some pretty tasty meals. A ginormous plate of nachos, delicious tacos from my new favorite taco place, La Revolucion, and some beans and rice and chili cheese etouffe from Yats. (If you ever visit, I will take you to all my favorite local food joints. Tacos, burgers, creole, pizza, sushi, let's go!)

I didn't cook anything from the norm this week. Tacos, sauteed veggies, yaki soba. I really am a creature of habit and sometimes just too lazy to make anything else. To make it easier on myself I even spend about 30 min cutting up all the veggies and throw them in a container for the week and then grab a handful to cook when I need them.

This week a read an article about a woman who was getting $800/month in food benefits and she was saying that wen they cut the benefits down by $44 she's not sure how she'll make ends meet. My first reaction was WHAT??? Who can't get by on $800/month for food? Her household contains 4 adults and a baby. That is MORE than enough in my opinion. She stated by the end of the month they were eating beans and rice and things like that. I have a friend who has a household of 4, 2 of which or hungry, hungry teenagers and she feeds her family very well on less than $800/month. It's possible. It makes me wonder what they heck this woman is buying.


$25.80



Week 4

  • a tub of Greek Yogurt
  • a package of shredded cheese
  • a steak
  • a box of fruit leather
  • a dozen eggs
  • a box of mac n' cheese
  • a head of orange cauliflower
  • 3 green bell peppers
  • 2 red bell peppers
  • 2 potatoes
  • 6 bananas
  • a package of Hi-Chew
  • a kinder bueno snack
Total: $24.86

The plan was to try to only spend $20 this week so I stayed under $100 for the entire 4 weeks, but I saw the inexpensive steak and thought, hey...why not. I also could have done without the Hi-Chew and Bueno, but hey, I gave myself a buffer.

I don't normally buy boxed mac n' cheese, but it's been so long since I've had it, I thought I'd pick up a box. I'll pair it with the steak and orange cauliflower that I will make into mashed cauliflower. I prefer the brightly colored cauliflower because it makes meals more fun. My favorite is the purple. The cauliflower will be my veggie as opposed to mashed potatoes which would be another starch.

So this week will be a lovely steak dinner, more tacos and quesadillas and probably some ramen that I found in the freezer. I've also still got some chicken left that I can cook and pair with rice. We shall see how the week plays out.

Week 1: $23.38
Week 2: $30.38
Week 3: $25.80
Week 4: $24.86

Total: $104.42

Check back next week to see how this last week went.

reading - Dust & Decay by Jonathan Maberry
This post brought to you in part by:
 

No comments: