Monday, April 23, 2012

he was a sexy hip hop boy from oh Chicago way

The title of this post doesn't have much to do with this post other than the fact that I just spend the entire weekend in Chicago. I do wish a sexy hip hop boy was involved though.

I feel like I ate my way through Chicago. I did what I normally do when I go out of town and ate at local places or places that can't be found here in Indianapolis. Save for one place. I think the best meal I had was breakfast Sunday morning at Yolk. I had the Red Velvet French Toast (check the previous post for a pic). Heaven on a plate. Red velvet cake swirled with a cream cheese frosting, battered and grilled and served with fresh strawberries. It was just right. Not too rich to have for breakfast at all. I have to figure out how to make this myself so that I can make it for those special people in my life.

Peeky Toe Crab Benedict from Longman & Eagle
Another good meal was the Peeky Toe Crab Benedict w/ One Hour Eggs and Old Bay Infused Hollandaise that I had for brunch at Longman & Eagle in Logan Square. I'd never had eggs Benedict until this meal. This isn't the way it's normally eaten, but it was pretty damn good. The crab and the Hollandaise...so good. And I was just checking out their website and they have rooms that you can stay overnight in. Um, yeah, I need to go ahead and book one next time I get up that way. I liked the Logan Square area and wouldn't mind exploring it some more.

After brunch with Jesi, we walked around Logan Square a bit. She brought me to a crafty consignment type shop called Wolfbait and B-girls. One of the ladies was cutting out some pants that she was about to sew together. Awesome. Made me wish I were just a bit smaller. I ended up finding a cute little wallet and had to have it. You gotta support local shops, no matter where you're at, so I did just that. We also checked out Reckless Records in honor of Record Store Day. It was a little early in the day so they didn't have any bands playing just yet.

waiting on the blue line
We hopped back on the train to head back into downtown to check out the Chicago Cultural Center. There was an exhibit I wanted to see and it just so happened that there was an exhibit that Jesi wanted to see as well. I think that worked out pretty well. After that it was just about nap time as we were both getting tired from a good meal and all the walking around, so Jesi and I parted ways. I ended up stopping by Old Navy on a whim to check if they had any shorts*. And they did! Score one for me. I also texted Ryan, a friend from college, to let him know I'd be free the rest of the day since we didn't get to have dinner or drinks the night before.

Write Now exhibit at the Chicago Cultural Center

As I was walking back to The Congress (which reminded me of the Shining and then later was told is haunted), a gentleman approached me about my hair, which wasn't looking it's greatest, and then started to flirt with me. He guessed I was single and even knew my ethnicity. I was open to talking to him, which I'm normally not. He had a good approach. The men here in Indianapolis could learn some things from the Chicago boys. Even my male friends from Chicago have a way of talking to women. I'd totally live in Chicago part time just to experience the men. Anywho, even though he was flirting, it was his way of trying to sell hair products or something. I recognized that off the bat, but I flirted back anyway. It made my afternoon.

Shrimp and Grits from Wishbone
I relaxed a bit while watching cartoons back at the hotel as I waited for Ryan. I probably could've taken a nap. But as soon as I got comfortable Ryan texted me. He took me to Wishbone. I had the shrimp and grits with some collard greens on the side. We also had some cornbread, not as good as the fried cornbread from Maxine's, but still good. Last time I was in Chicago Ryan took me a couple of good food joints and he did not disappoint this time either. I really wanted to check out the bacon cotton candy at Ruxbin (which we passed by). Maybe next time.

The rest of the trip was pretty uneventful. Lizard was supposed to come up, but cancelled at the last minute so I spent the days walking up and down Michigan and State shopping (they closed the Sanrio store *frowns*) and people watching and the evenings watching TV and passing out at what seemed early, but probably really wasn't. I didn't feel comfortable walking around downtown at night by myself and it was cold and I didn't have a proper jacket.

I did get a little sentimental when I passed by a few spots and started thinking about the last time I was in Chicago and had spent the whole day with Babe. It made me smile because we had a great time, but a little sad because I was in town by myself. That day I spent with him was so much fun.

All in all it was a good trip. I only went over my budget by 49 cents and I ate A LOT of good food. I usually enjoy my trips to Chicago, oddly enough, I don't really wanna live there. Too expensive. Next time, I flirt with more men. Hey,  ya never know.

*I dislike shorts shopping just about as much as I dislike shopping for jeans. I have thick legs and a booty. Shorts can end up looking obscene if they're not long enough.

No comments: