Monday, January 6, 2014

snowmageddon and creative giving

this is a video IG, but I don't know how to post those *shrugs*
If you follow me on IG, then you know that Indiana was going through Snowmageddon. Actually I believe most of the Midwest was experiencing the same thing. It was supposed to start around 2AM Sunday morning but instead held off until later in the morning. People were in a panic on Friday and Saturday buying up all the milk and bread. I on the other hand stayed in my pjs all day and kept thinking I was going to venture out to grab some milk, but it never happened. I didn't think it was going to snow that bad.



But it did. I finally decided at around noon that I was going to venture out to grab some milk and whatever else I had a craving for. The buses were still running so I figured I'd just hop on the bus, then I got outside and it wasn't as cold as I thought it might be and decided to walk instead. It was a hell of a walk. What normally would have been a 20 - 25 minute walk round trip, took me about an hour because of the depth of the snow on the unshoveled sidewalks (we had a good snow on Thursday too). Other than the sidewalks and my glasses being covered with snow the walk wasn't too bad. I got hot and had to pull off my gloves. 


I worked on some sewing and did some general dicking around on the internet and then decided I needed to go back outside and see how deep the snow had gotten. Just as I'd flung myself to the ground my boss texted me to let me know that our company had decided that the store wasn't going to open today (Monday), so we need not worry about trying to make it in to work (good thing because the buses have decided they won't be running either and that's how I get to work).  Thankful that my company puts it's employees safety first, because last I'd heard the mall still planned to be open.

another video

Saturday evening, Pete the Planner tweeted that for every inch of snow that fell (recorded at the airport) he was going to donate $100 to The Wheeler Mission (homeless shelter). An awesome idea. Soon people were jumping on the bandwagon and pledging to donate as well. I thought about what my budget could handle and went ahead and made a small pledge too. I think the last tweet I saw the pledge was up to almost $4000/inch. Pretty amazing what can happen with a tweet. I haven't checked to see what the snow fall was for yesterday, but I think it was close to 10. Probably more than that. That's a lot of help for The Wheeler Mission. I like creative giving.

Today I believe the high is supposed to be something like -11. Woo! So very glad I don't have to go to work. I plan to spend the day working on a small portfolio (I have an interview on Wednesday, depending on the weather) and finishing up the quilt top I started on yesterday. It'll probably be too cold to go outside, but I may attempt it. I really want to build a snow fort. I wish I had friends that lived closer.

I hope you guys are staying warm if you're in a cold weather area. Be safe out there.

reading - Handmade to Sell by Kelly Rand
This post brought to you in part by:

2 comments:

Simply Evani said...

I'm always amazed by your ability to give to others, when you have so many financial goals of your own. It really speaks to what a caring person you are. Glad you stayed safe in the crazy weather on the other side of the US!

Jan said...

I hope your streets are better now and you're experiencing warmer temps! <3